A step by step guide on how to deploy an authoritative DNS server using PowerDNS and PowerDNS Admin on linux ubuntu 20.04 LTS
In this first episode, you will learn how to deploy an authoritative DNS server using PowerDNS and the PowerDNS admin web-based console on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in the cloud on the AWS Lightsail service. PowerDNS is a DNS server program, written in C++ and licensed under the GPL. It runs on most Unix derivatives. According to the PowerDNS website, the system supports all major databases, including but not limited to MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite3, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, LDAP, and plain text files.
DNS answers can also be fully scripted using a variety of (scripting) languages such as Lua, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, C, and C++. Such scripting can be used for dynamic redirection, (spam) filtering, or real-time intervention. In addition, the PowerDNS Authoritative Server is the leading DNSSEC implementation, hosting most of all DNSSEC domains worldwide. The Authoritative Server hosts at least 30% of all domain names in Europe, and around 90% of all DNSSEC domains in Europe. Continue reading this video to learn how to deploy an authoritative DNS server using PowerDNS and PowerDNS Admin on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in the cloud on the AWS Lightsail service.
In order to complete this tutorial, the following is a list of items that may be needed or required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial to ensure success:
1) A desktop or laptop with at least 4GB RAM, a dual-core processor, and at least 50GB disk space
2) An Amazon Web Services account or IAM user account
3) A Linux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS instance deployed in AWS Lightsail or AWS EC2
4) A fully qualified domain name and an elastic IP address
5) Installation packages for PowerDNS as well as PowerDNS admin.
1) Sign into your Amazon Web Services account and open the Lightsail server
2) Create a new Linux Ubuntu instance and set an elastic static IP
3) Point an A record to the instance, configure a custom hostname and update the system repository
4) Install PoweDNS and PowerDNS admin system dependancies
5) Install PowerDNS and PowerDNS admin.