Easy Steps To Take To Install Jitsi Server On A Linux Ubuntu Server 19.10 Eoan Ermine.
JITSI SERVER is a fully fledged open source voice and video conferencing platform that allows you to develop and deploy voice and video conferencing solutions on demand. It is an ideal solution for remote workers and coworkers working from home and who need to collaborate! It can also be downloaded and installed on many operating systems running on bare metal hardware, virtual machines on private on premise environments or in the cloud. Continue read through this tutorial to get detailed easy steps to take to install JITSI SERVER on linux Ubuntu 19.0 (Eoan Ermine). We’ll also show you how to setup client devices , schedule video conferences and more! If you would like to watch a video tutorial click on the button below to watch now!
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implimentation action on this tutorial:
1) A desktop or laptop with a web browser to access the ESXi web configurator
2) Authorised acceess to a VMware ESXi 6.0 server
3) Linux Ubuntu 19.10 install ISO file
4) Internet access to download JITSI server setup files.
5) A FQDN and a router for port forwarding network traffic to the JITSI server.
1) Statistics about video conferencing and working from home.
2) Voice and video conferencing software – price comparison.
3) Advantages of JITSI SERVER and system requirements
4) Open virtualbox or any other virtualization software and create a new LINUX UBUNTU SERVER 19.10 virtual machine
5) Install Linux Ubuntu Server 19.10 and JITSI SERVER.
Step 1: Statistics About Video Conferencing And Working From Home.
1) From late 2019 the usage voice, video and collaboration solutions has been on the rise due the the increased number of people who are working from home globally. Infact according to a study done by forbes, from 2010-2020, there has been a 400% increase in the number of employees who work from home at least once a week
2) Voice and Video conferencing tools save time that would normally be spent commuting or securing and setting up meeting rooms. And infact according to studies done by FORBES, GARTNER and ZOOM, as of 2020:
– 43% of remote and in-house teams use a video conferencing solution.
– 78% of corporate companies use video calling software.
– 83% of businesses with over 250 employees are likely to purchase video calling tools.
– 27% of small businesses are likely to purchase video calling tools.
– 86% of companies conduct employee interviews over video call.
– 45% of teams use video calling tools daily or weekly
– 80% of employees use video calling for 1:1 meetings
3) Most organizations around the world use paid, proprietary video conferencing solutions and the most popular are ZOOM, MICROSOFT TEAMS, GOOGLE MEET and CISCO WEBEX. Infact according to FORBES:
– Zoom had over 300 million meeting participants per day in 2020
– Google Meet had over 100 million daily meeting participants in 2020
– Microsoft Teams had 75 million active daily users in 2020
– Cisco WebEx currently has over 300 million users
4) However there are many open source alternatives to ZOOM, MICROSOFT TEAMS and CISCO WEBEX and some of those alternatives are:
Voice And Video Conferencing Software – Price Comparison.
5) The table on the right is a simple comparison of popular Voice and Video conferencing solutions. This will help to give you an idea of how much it may cost to use any one of these solutions in your organisation. For example
NB: Please note that these pricing may have changed from the date of writing of this article.
Advantages Of JITSI SERVER And System Requirements
6) JITSI SERVER is a free voice and video communications platform that has many advantages and benefits. Advantages include:
1)User-friendly process of arranging video and audio calls, as well as multi-meeting rooms
2)High level of privacy and security due to deployment inside isolated containers with encrypted traffic
3) Support of all available clients (Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android)
4) Custom conference configuration (codecs, bandwidths, quality …)
5) Private fail over solutions and High Availability solutions
Step 1: Open VirtualBox And Create A New Linux Ubuntu 19.10 Virtual Machine.
7) Open the virtualbox app and click on MACHINE > NEW to open the virtual machine creation wizard. Set the NAME of the virtual machine to JITSI SERVER, set the TYPE to LINUX and the VERSION to UBUNTU (64-BIT) and click on CONTINUE.
8) On the MEMORY SIZE window, use the memory slider to set the amount of memory to allocate to the virtual machine to 2048MB and click on CONTINUE.
9) Next, click on the CREATE A VIRTUAL HARD DISK NOW radio button and click on CREATE.
10) You now have to choose the type of file that you would like to use for the new virtual machine. Click on the VDI (VIRTUALBOX DISK IMAGE) radio button and click on CONTINUE.
11) Next, you have to choose whether the new virtual hard disk file should grow as it is used (dynamically allocated) or if it should be created at its maximum size (fixed size).
Click on the DYNAMICALLY ALLOCATED radio button and click on CONTINUE to complete the virtual machine creation process.
Step 2: Install Linux Ubuntu Server 19.10 And JITSI SERVER.
12) Right click on the newly created virtual machine and click on START > NORMAL START. When the virtual machine starts a popup window will be displayed prompting you to select the UBUNTU disk image file.
Click on the FILE SELECTION button and click on ADD. Go to the folder where the UBUNTU disk image file is located and click on OPEN.
13) Select the UBUNTU disk image file from the list of NOT ATTACHED ISO files, click on CHOOSE and click on START.
14) Complete the ubuntu installation process, reboot the virtual machine and run the following command to install UBUNTU 19.10 updates.