How to Install elementaryOS on Vmware Workstation.
1) ElementaryOS ISO image file ( downloadable on the Official ElementaryOS website)
2) Desktop or Laptop with atleast 8GB memory and core i3 processor.
3) Vmware Workstation Player or Workstation Pro Installed ( Click here for a tutorials on how to install Workstation)
Step One : ElementaryOS system requirements
1) 4GB Memory (RAM)
2) 15GB Hard disk space
3) 1024 x 768 Display
4) Dual core or core i3 processor
Step Two : Setting Up Your Vmware Workstation!
2) On the new virtual machine dialog box choose the radio button on “TYPICAL RECOMENDED” and click “NEXT”
4) Click the “NEXT” button to proceed
5) On this window, select guest operating system type as ‘LINUX’
6)Select the version as ‘OTHER LINUX 2.6.X KERNEL 64 BIT’ and click the ‘NEXT’ button to proceed.If you are trying to install the 32-bit version of Elementary OS, ensure to select ‘OTHER LINUX 2.6.X 32 BIT KERNEL’
7) Add a virtual machine name that you would like in the next dialog box, You can also change the located of where you ElementaryOS VM will be saved to on your computer on this dialog box
9)Select the Split virtual disk into mulitple files radio button, this will allow the virtual machine to only use up available physical disk space when needed and makes it easier when you need to move the VM from one computer to another
10) Finally review you virtual machine settings on the “READY TO CREATE VIRTUAL MACHINE” dialog box, You can click the “CUSTOMIZE” button to change VM settings or proceed by clicking on the “FINISH” button
Step Two : Configure ElementaryOS For Installation
11) Now click in the “POWER ON VIRTUAL MACHINE” button in Vmware Workstation inorder to bootup the new ElementaryOS installation.
12) Since ElementaryOS is ubuntu based you will be prsented with an option to “TRY ELEMENTARY” or to “INSTALL ELEMENTARY”. Select the “INSTALL ELEMENTARY” button to start the install process.
13) Choose if you would like to download updates while installing ElementaryOS by ticking on this checkbox, this would help you avoid having to install updates after installation completes.
14) Tick on this check box if you would like to install thrird party software that will allow you to do things like connecting to a WiFi network and playback of audio and video files
17) At this stage enter your desired username , the installer will automatically suggest a computer name. These can easily be changed later. You can select if you would like to enable automatic login and home folder encryption for your VM. Once done click on the “CONTINUE” button.
18) After completing installation specific customisations,the installer will now proceed in the background and depending on how much pgysical resources you have allowcated to your ElementaryOS virtual, installation should only take a few minutes.
19) Great! If you see this message box then your ElementaryOS Installation was successful. Click on the “RESTART NOW” button to allow the VM to boot into your newly installed ElementaryOS!.