Learn how to configure a dhcp server on mikrotik routeros 6.48.2
In order for a computer to be happy and functional on an IP network, it needs to have some basic configuration setup including an IP ADDRESS, SUBNET MASK, DEFAULT GATEWAY to use and it also needs to know the DNS SERVER to use when making DNS request for internet bound traffic. In a large corporate network configuring these parameters on every network device manually might not be a good idea as it is time consuming and challenging to manage. In this tutorial you will learn how you can automate the process of provisioning network configuration information to network devices through the use of the DHCP (DYNAMIC HOST CONFIGURATION PROTOCOL) server feature on Mikrotik RouterOS 6.48.2 r newer. The MikroTik RouterOS DHCP server supports the basic functions of giving each requesting client an IP address/netmask lease, default gateway, domain name, DNS-server(s) and WINS-server(s) (for Windows clients) information as well as advanced DHCP options such as DHCP option 66 for network booting. Click on the button below to watch the video tutorial on YOUTUBE.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully, the following is a list of items that may be needed. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) The Winbox application used for configuring Mikrotik routers.
2) A mikrotik router (the Mikrotik HEX lite or any better version will do).
3) A desktop or laptop with a dual core processor, 50GB of free disk space and atleast 2GB of RAM
4) Windows 11, Windows 18, Windows 8, Windows 7, MacOS or a Linux desktop distro.
5) A network switch for connecting network clients (optional).
1) Recommendations on where to buy Mikrotik routers
2) Download the WINBOX application onto your computer and open it
3) Power on the Mikrotik router and login to the router using the WINBOX app.
4) Configure a DHCP server, connect a client computer and set it to receive IP NETWORK. configuration via DHCP.
5) Connect a network switch and the client computer to the network switch and test connectivity