How To Create A Simple Wi-Fi Network For Use At Home Or In A Small Office Using A Mikrotik Wireless Router.
Having a WiFi network in your home or at the office comes with many advantages as you can connect many Wi-Fi enable devices such as phones, laptops, IOT and smart home devices to it. This helps to boost productivity, communication and mobility in a home or office enviroment. This tutorial shows detailed steps on how to create a simple Wi-Fi network for use at home or in a small office using a Mikrotik Wireless router.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) A desktop or laptop with windows installed (atleast Windows 7).
2) The winbox desktop app.
3) A mikrotik wireless router.
4) Mikrotik mobile phone app.
1) Recommended mikrotik wireless routers and where to buy them.
2) Use the WinBox desktop aplication to connect to the wireless router and setup a WAN connection.
3) Configure the LAN network, enable the wireless interface and set a password and SSID for the Wi-Fi.
4) Download the Mikrotik mobile app from an app store and setup a Wi-Fi network using the app
Step One: Recommended Mikrotik Wireless Routers.
A) Mikrotik RB951Ui-2HnD (mipsbe).
1) A good compact size mikrotik in door router that can be used to setup a Wi-Fi network is the Mikrotik RB951Ui-2HnD (mipsbe) wireless router. This router ships with a new generation Atheros CPU, a 2.4GHz WiFi antenna, 5 Ethernet ports with PoE output on port 5. It also has a 600MHz CPU, 128MB RAM and a USB port.
2) The Mikrotik RB951Ui-2HnD (mipsbe) wireless router has several WAN connection options. It is possible to purchase a 3G / 4G USB Dongle and connect it to the built in USB port on the router. So essentially the router would utilise a mobile network connection for the WAN interface.
This router also has support for a wired WAN connection which can be set up to obtain IP connectivity using DHCP, A STATIC IP ADDRESS or PPPOE. The Diagram on the right shows a typical network diagram of how you can setup the router.
B) Mikrotik SXT LTE kit-US and the Mikrotik LtAP Mini Access Point.