how to install and setup wireshark 3.2.1 on windows 10 to capture filter and inspect network packets
Have you ever found yourself troubleshooting a network and not know whats going on or what the problem is? Wireshark can help to get you out of a sticky mess. Wireshark originally known as Ethereal is a free to download open-source application that captures and displays data being transmitted on a network. Troubleshoot problems on your network and develop awesome solutions like a pro by learning how to install and setup Wireshark 3.2.1 on Windows 10 to capture, filter, inspect network packets.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) Desktop or laptop computer with Windows 10 installed
2) Wireshark installation setup file
3) Internet connection (optional)
1) Download WIRESHARK 3.2.1 or any newer version
2) Install and run wireshark on WINDOWS 10
3) Learn how to capture network traffic using wireshark
4) Learn how to filter and inspect network traffic in wireshark
5) Learn how to troubleshoot common networking problems using WIRESHARK.
Step 1: Download Wireshark
1) The Wireshark software can be downloaded for free from the official Wireshark website for both macOS and Windows. On the download page the latest stable release and the current developmental release versions are available, we recommend that you download the latest stable release (Wireshark 3.2.1 in this case).
Wireshark is also available for other linux platforms such as Ubuntu, Red Hat, Solaris, and FreeBSD. The downlod links for these distros can be found on the “THIRD PARTY PACKAGES” section of the wireshark download page.
Wireshark also ships as a packaged installation with other applicatios such as GNS3 and pre-installed on some linux distributions such as KALI linux and BACK TRACK O.S
Step 2: Install And Run Wireshark 3.2.1 On Windows 10
2) Browse to the folder where Wireshark was downloaded to (e.g downloads folder) and open the Wireshark installation file.
Click “NEXT” on the welcome to Wireshark 3.2.1 setup wizard and click on “I AGREE” to accept the Wireshark 3.2.1 license agreement.
On the choose components section you may leave the default selections. This will install Wireshark with all the components that most users require. However you may unselect any of the components if you wish to do so. Click on “NEXT” to proceed.
3) On the next sections you may choose whether wireshark should a create desktop icon, start menu items or quick launch icon and choose an installation directory to store Wireshark files.
Ensure that the Npcap check box is checked so as to install it as this is the packet sniffing (and sending) library for Windows. If you wish to sniff USB traffic ensure that the “INSTALL USBPcap” check box is checked.
Click on the “INSTALL” button to proceed.
4) Once the install process completes, you must be logged in to the windows as an administrator to use Wireshark. search for Wireshark and click on the “RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR” option.Once Wireshark opens you will see all network and usb interfaces from which wireshark can capture data for filtering and analysis
5)Wireshark can also sniff and capture networking packets using a device called a TAP that can be placed between two network devices such as a switch and a client computer.
It is also possible to connect a computer with Wireshark installed to a switch port and collect packets being transmitting between that switch and a third party client computer using “PORT MIRRORING”