How To Install PFSENSE 2.4.4 On VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro
PfSense is an open source network firewall/router software distribution which is based on the FreeBSD operating system.Installing PFSENSE as a VMware Workstation virtual machine can be usefull if you need to setup a home lab for practising and testing features available on Pfsense. This tutorial provides a guide on how to install PFSENSE version 2.4.4 as a VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro virtual machine.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implimentation action on this tutorial:
1) A desktop or laptop computer with Windows 7,8,10 or Linux installed.
2) VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro
3) PFSENSE 2.4.4 disk image file (ISO)
Step One: Download The PFSENSE Install Disk Image File (ISO)
1) Click HERE to download the PFSENSE installation disk image file. On the downlad page, choose AMD(64) on the ARCHITECTURE drop down and choose a mirror location closest to you on the MIRROR dropdown menu.
Step Two: Create And Install The Pfsense Virtual Machine
4) On the NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIZARD, select the “TYPICAL (RECOMMENDED)” option. This will simplify the virtual machine creation process as vmware easy install wil automatically configure virtual hardware settings suitabe for PFSENSE
5) Next, Select the “INSTALLER DISK IMAGE FILE (ISO) option. Click on the “BROWSE” button and select the PFSENSE iso file from its saved location on your computer. The “NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIZARD” will automatically detect PFSENSE as a FREEBSD version 10 64-bit system. Click on the “NEXT” button to proceed.
7) Next, specify the virtual hard disk capacity for the PFSENSE virtual machine. This will depnd on available disk space on the host computer however 50 GB is sufficint for PFSENSE in a home lab / work lab environment. Chooe the “SPLIT VIRTUAL DISK INTO MULTIPLE FILES” option if you intend to move the virtual machine to a different host later. Click on the “NEXT” button to proceed.
8) This is the final stage in the virtual machine creation process. However PFSENSE requires 2 network interface’s so as to function properly. At this stage the virtual machine only has one network interface. To add a second interface click in the “CUSTOMIZE HARDWARE” button.
11) Click on the “CLOSE” and “FINISH” buttons. If the “POWER ON THIS VIRTUAL MACHINE AFTER CREATION” check box is checked the PFSENSE virtual machine will power on. Otherwise select the newly created virtual machine and click on the “Power On This Virtual Machine” button.