RedHat released a new 2019 version of its flagship Linux operating system dubbed The intelligent OS for hybrid cloud. Any cloud. Any workload. One OS. It is an intelligent operating system that can be deployed in the cloud, on premise or in a hybrid cloud environment. It is also an operating system that can be used for many use cases such as a software development environment, a web server, a network server, an application server and more! New features in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 include a WEB CONSOLE that provides a single browser-based interface to all of the available tools including management of virtual machines, firewall settings, storage…etc, support for up to 4PB of physical memory, version 4 of the YUM package manager, GNOME Shell version 3.28, qemu-kvm version 2.12, Podman, a daemon-less command-line tool that lets you directly create and manage container images. This tutorial aims to provide an easy to follow guide on how to download and install Redhat Enterprise Linux 8 (RHEL8) on VMware Workstation 15.5 Player. You will also learn how to install VMware tools and how to setup a shared folder. If you would like to watch a video tutorial, click on the button below to watch it now for FREE!
1) To create the virtual machine the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 installation ISO image file is needed. Click HERE to go to the Redhat download page to get the ISO file. A free RedHat account is needed to download the file and the total download size is about 6.6GB.
2) Launch VMware Workstation 15.5 player installed on your computer and go to “PLAYER > FILE > NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE”. This will launch the CREATE NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIZARD.
3) On the “NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIZARD” select an operating system installation source by select the radio button on “INSTALLER DISK IMAGE FILE (iso). Once selected click on the “BROWSE” button, navigate and select the Red Hat Enterprise Linux ISO image file downloaded on STEP ONE.
Workstation Player will automatically detect the Red Hat operating system type, and will make operating system installation simpler using a feature called “EASY INSTALL” . Click on the “NEXT” button to proceed.
4) On this page the personalisation options are presented and these allow you to specify any desired computer name, username and login password for the virtual machine. Proceed by filling out a meaning computer name, username and password in the “FULL NAME” , “USERNAME” and “PASSWORD” fields. Click on the “NEXT” button to proceed.
5) On this page of the new VM wizard, provide a meaningfull name of the virtual machine. You can also change the location of the virtual machine. By default VMware Workstation will save the virtual machine files in the Documents/Virtual Machines folder on your computer.
7) Finally, the Redhat virtual machine is ready to be created. In order to make any custome adjustments to the virtual machine hardware i.e RAM, STORAGE, PROCESSORS and NETWORK configuration click on the “CUSTOMIZE HARDWARE” button. Click on the “FINISH” button to proceed.
8) If the “POWER ONE THIS VIRTUAL MACHINE AFTER CREATION” option is checked, The RedHat VM will be created and will start automatically. If not, start the VM manually using the “POWER ON THIS VIRTUAL MACHINE” option.
9) After the Red Hat VM starts, an installation summary will be displayed. All the options in the Installation summary will be configured automatically by VMWARE EASY INSTALL. Wait for the installation process to complete.
10) After the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 installation completes, the VM will restart automatically and will allow you to login using the username and password defined at the beginning of the Red Hat virtual machine creation and installation process.
11) Great! Redhat Enterprise Linux 8 is now installed on your desktop / laptop as a VMware Workstation 15.5 Player virtual machine!.