How to Install Roundcube Email Client on Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
What is Roundcube and Why Should You Install it on Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LTS?
Roundcube is a free and open-source webmail application that makes it easy for users to access their emails with any device. It is highly configurable and provides a rich set of features such as address book, calendar, tasks, file storage, and more. With its intuitive user interface, Roundcube can be installed on Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LTS in minutes and offers an excellent platform for managing emails.
It also provides users with the ability to customize their email experience by adding plugins or themes to make it look more personal and unique. With its powerful search capabilities, users can quickly find the emails they need without having to scroll through long lists of messages. If you would like to set up your own private email server then Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is a stable server that can work well run Roundcube Email Client.
Below is a list of items that may be needed to complete this setup successfully:
1) A cloud-hosted VPS or self-hosted server running Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
2) An SSH client such as Putty for Windows or Terminal for macOS
3) A public IP address and domain name pointing to the public IP
4) For self-hosted setup – you can use Cloudflare Zero Trust if you do not have a public IP (optional)
Below is an overview of the steps you need to take to install Roundcube:
1) Download and install the LAMP stack
2) Create a MySQL database for Roundcube and configure an Apache virtual host
3) Download and install Roundcube
4) Complete the post installation setup and configure Gmail on Roundcube
1. Download and install the LAMP stack
Roundcube is a web-based application and as such, it needs the LAMP stack. The LAMP stack is a set of software packages usually used to host and run websites and web-based applications. LAMP stands for Linux Apache MariaDB and PHP. Run the command below to install Apache and MariaDB:
Install PHP and needed extensions
2. Create a MySQL database for Roundcube and configure an Apache virtual host
Ensure to replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain name. To save changes made to the file, press CTRL + O, hit ENTER then press CTRL + X to exit the file. Enable the virtual host and restart the apache2 system service
3. Download and install Roundcube
In this step you will learn how to download and install the Roundcube web based mail client. Open a new browser window and go to https://roundcube.net/download. Right click on the download link for complete package and click Copy link address. Return to your terminal application and execute the command below to start the download.
Change the owner of the vh_roundcube directory to www-data and set the permissions on all files in the directory to 755
4. Complete the post installation setup
Scroll down to the database setup section and enter your database name, username, and password. Click Next and scroll down to the Plugins section. Select any plugins that you would like and click the Create Config button. Click Continue and you will see a page notifying you that the installer directory needs to be removed. Return to your terminal app and run the following command in the public/ directory to remove the installer directory