The Mikrotik Cloud Hosted Router (CHR) is a RouterOS distribution intended to be used in a virtual environment. The mikrotik cloud hosted router can be installed on vmware, oracle, hyperv and kvm hypervisors and more. Mikrotik CHR ships wilth all traditional routeros features except the licensing model used. This tutorial aims to provide a guide on how to install the Mikrotik CHR on the Microsoft Hyper-V platform.
The Mikrotik Cloud Hosted Router has a different licensing model from the licensing model used on conventional mikrotik routers. There are 3 licensing tiers i.e Perpetual1 (P1), Perpetual 10 (P10) and Perpetual Unlimited (P-Unlimited). The perpetual licenses mean that you only have to buy once and use forever. A perpetual license can also be transfered to different/new CHR installation and a 60-day free trial license is available for all paid CHR license levels. Click HERE to learn more about how you can purchase a license.
To download the Mikrotik Cloud Hosted Router (CHR) image for Microsft Hyper-V go to the official mikrotik website. Click on the SOFTWARE link and scroll down to the CLOUD HOSTED ROUTER section and click on the save button on the VHDX IMAGE row to download the CHR virtual machine disk file. 6.46.1 (Stable) is chosen in this tutorial you may choose any other version if you wish to do so.
1) From the windows task bar type in the word “HYPER-V” in the task bar search box and select “HYPER-V MANAGER” from search results. If the HYPER-V MANAGER is not visible from search results open the “CONTROL PANEL”, go to “SYSTEM AND SECURITY > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS” and select HYPER-V MANAGER.
3) Next create the Mikrotik CHR virtual machine by selecting “ACTION > NEW > VIRTUAL MACHINE”.
4) On the “NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE” wizard click on the “NEXT” button to create a virtual machine with a custom configuration.
5) Add a meaningful name for the Mikrotik CHR virtual machine in the “NAME” text input box.
6) On this page of the NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIZARD” choose the “GENERATION 1” radio button and click on the “NEXT” button.
7) Assign a portion of the available memory on the host computer to be utilised by the Mikrotik CHR virtual machine when it is powered on. Mikrotik recommends 128MB but you may assign more memory depending on available memory resources on the host computer.
8) Select the HYPER-V virtual network switch to be used by the Mikrotik CHR vm. This depends on available virtual switches configured in HYPER-V. In this case we select the Default Switch. Click on the “NEXT” button.
9) On the “CONNECT VIRTUAL DISK” page do not select the “CREATE A VIRTUAL DISK” option. Select the “USE AN EXISTING VIRTUAL DISK” option and click on the “BROWSE” button to navigate and select the Mikrotik CHR virtual disk image file (VHDX) downloaded on step two.
10) The “COMPLETING THE NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIZARD” page will be displayed. Here you will see a summary of the Mikrotik CHR virtual machine. Click on the “FINISH” button to complete the virtual machine creation process. You can click on the “PREVIOUS” button if you wish to move back to previous sections of the wizard.
11) The mikrotik cloud hosted router virtual machine can work well with only one network adapter. However it is possible to add more than one network adapter. To do this right click on the mikrotik CHR virtual machine in hyper-v manager and click on “SETTINGS”.
12) On the “SETTINGS” page, select “ADD HARDWARE” and choose the “NETWORK ADAPTER” option. Click on the “ADD” button.
13) Hyper-V manager will automatically open additional settings for the network adapter you are adding. Select the virtual switch on the “VIRTUAL SWITCH” drop down menu. It is also possible to enable bandwidth management where you can specify minimum and maximum bandwidth limits for the adapter. Finally click on the “APPLY” and “OK” buttons to confirm changes.
14) From the Hyper-V dashboard, right click on the mikrotik chr virtual machine and select the “START” option. This will power on the virtual machine.
15) The status of the Mikrotik CHR vm will change from “OFF” to running and information such as uptime, CPU usage and assigned memory is available in the Hyper-V manager.
16) AWESOME! you have successfully Installed The Mikrotik Cloud Hosted Router On Microsoft Hyper-V.