How To Install Linux Ubuntu 19.10 On VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro
Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) is the latest linux distro for desktops realeased on the 17th of October 2019. The new ubuntu distro now ships with a faster boot time when compared with older versions as well as support for the ZFS file system. Ubuntu 19.10 uses the latest Linux kernel 5.3 and it has newer versions of several software such as GCC 9, Python 3.7, OpenJDK 11, Mesa 19.2 and Gnome 3.34. Learn how to install linux ubuntu as a vmware workstation 15.5 pro virtual machine.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial :
1) Desktop or laptop with Windows , MacOS or Linux.
2) VMware Workstation 5.5 Pro / VMware Workstation Player 15.5
3) Internet Connection.
4) Linux Ubuntu 19.10 disk image file (ISO)
1) Linux Ubuntu 19.10 System Requirements
2) Download the Ubuntu 19.10 disk image file
3) Create a new virtual machine and install Ubuntu
4) Install VMware tools for ubuntu and create a shared folder.
Step 1 :Download The Ubuntu 19.10 Disk Image file
1) The official installation disk image file for Linux Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) can be downloaded for free from the official ubuntu website. Click HERE to go to the download page. To ensure ubuntu stays free to download and use please consider donating to ubuntu. Information on how to donate is also available on the download page.
2) You can take Ubuntu 19.10 for a test drive before installing is on your computer. Click HERE to learn how you can take the test drive.
Step 2: Create And Install The Ubuntu 19.10 Virtual Machine
3) Open VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro and go to “FILE > NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE”. You can also use the “CNTRL + N” keyboard shortcut or simply click on the “CREATE NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE” button on the workstation dashboard. This will launch the “NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE WIZARD”
4) Once you click next, you will be presented with guest operating system installation options. Choose the “INSTALLER DISK IMAGE (ISO) option, click on the browse button and select the ubuntu disk image file (ISO) that was downloaded on step 1. The vmware easy install feature will automatically detect the type of operating for the iso file as “UBUNTU 64 BIT 19.10”. Click on “NEXT” to proceed.
5) On the “EASY INSTALL INFORMATION” section add a host name for ubuntu on the “FULL NAME” text input box. Specify a username and password on relevant fields and click on “NEXT”
On the “NAMEH THE VIRTUAL MACHINE” section, add a descriptive name to identify the Ubuntu VM and select a location to save virtual machine files on the “LOCATION” input box. If you leave the default location selected the virtual machine files will be saved in the “DOCUMENTS/VIRTUAL MACHINES” folder.
Click on “NEXT” to proceed.
6) On the ‘SPECIFY DISK CAPACITY” section enter a numerical value for the ubuntu virtual hard disk on the “MAXIMUM HARD DISK SIZE” text input box. If you intend to move the virtual machine from one host to another (i.e move from vmare workstation to esxi server) select the “split virtual disk into multiple files. However if you have no intention of moving the VM and would want high perfomance choose the “STORE VIRTUAL DISK AS A SINGLE FILE” option. Click on “NEXT” to proceed.
7) On the “READY TO CREATE VIRTUAL MACHINE” section, a summary of the virtual machine to be create will eb shown. To make any final changes to items such as hard disk size, memory to be allocated to the VM, network adapters or memory configuration click on the “CUSTOMIZE” button.
Ensure that the “POWER ON VIRTUAL MACHINE AFTER CREATION” check box is checked and click on “FINISH”
8) VMware easy install will automatically detect preflight installtion options that you would normally have to go through and start the ubuntu installation. Wait for the installation process to complete. The speed of installtion depends on hardware resource allocation to the VM and the general perfomance of the host computer.
9) Once linux ubunto completes copying installation files, installing ubuntu apps and componets as well as downloading package updates and installing GRUB, The VM will automatically reboot and you will be presented with a login screen as shown in the image on the right.
10) AWESOME! You have successfully installed Linux Ubuntu 19.10 As A VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro Virtual Machine. Click HERE to learn 25 things you need to do after installing Linux Ubuntu 19.10