How To Install Windows Server 2019 On VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro / Player And Configure Remote Management Using Windows Admin Center.
This tutorial provides a guide on how to install Windows Server 2019 On A VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro / Player virtual machine. That is if you would like to test out the latest version of Windows Server or if you would like to set up a server without having to face the challenge of purchasing computing hardware. We’ll also show you how to manage the Windows Server 2019 virtual machine remotely using Windows Admin Center.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) A desktop or laptop computer with Windows or a Linux desktop distro.
2) Atleast 4GB RAM and 250GB storage space
3) Windows Server 2019 evalution edition ISO file or Licensed version
4) Windows Admin Center MSI installation file.
5) VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro or Player.
1) Create the VMware Workstation Virtual machine and allocate 4GB RAM and 250GB disk space to it.
2) Power On the virtual machine and install Windows Server 2019 standard or datacentre edition.
Step One: Create The Virtual Machine.
1) Open VMware Workstation 15.5 Pro / Player and go to “FILE > NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE”. This will launch the “NEW VIRTUAL MACHINE” wizard.
On the wizard select the “TYPICAL (RECOMMENDED) option and click on “NEXT”. This option will make the virtual machine creation process easier by automatically customizing the virtual hardware for Windows Server 2019 using the VMware Workstation EASY INSTALL functionality.
2) On the “GUEST OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLATION” page select the “INSTALLER DISK IMAGE FILE(ISO)” option then click on the browse button.
A BROWSE FOR ISO IMAGE dialogue box will open, go to the folder where the Windows Server 2019 ISO file is located, select the ISO and click on “OPEN”
The virtual machine wizard will automatically detect that the ISO file is for Windows Server 2019 as shown in the image.
Click on “NEXT” to proceed.
3) On the EASY INSTALL INFORMATION page enter your Windows Server 2019 product key, select “WINDOWS SERVER STANDARD CORE” on the VERSION OF WINDOWS TO INSTALL” drop down.
On the PERSONALISE WINDOWS section, type in a computer name as well as a secure password – adding a password is optional and can be added when the Windows Server 2019 install process completes.
4) On the NAME THE VIRTUAL MACHINE page, type in a descriptive name for the Windows Server VM, you can leave the default name and click on “NEXT”
5) The “SPECIFY DISK CAPACITY” page allows you to configure the virtual machine’s hard disk and capacity. Please note that the virtual hard disk is stored as one or more files on the host computer.
Type in the size of the virtual hard disk on the ‘MAXIMUM DISK SIZE” input box and choose where to store the virtual disk as a single file or to split it into multiple files.
6) The READY TO CREATE VIRTUAL MACHINE page click on the FINISH button to create the virtual machine. If you wish to make changes to virtual hardware click on the CUSTOMIZE HARDWARE button and if you would like for the virtual machine to power up after creation, click on the “POWER ON THE VIRTUAL MACHINE AFTER CREATION” check box.
Step Two: Install Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition.
7) Once the virtual machine boots up using the Windows Server 2019 install ISO file, select the “WINDOWS SERVER 2019 STANDARD EVALUATION (DESKTOP EXPERIENCE)” option and click on “NEXT”