How To Set A Static IP Address On Kali Linux 2021.1 In Less Than 5 Minutes
In order to complete this tutorial successfully, the following is a list of items that may be needed or required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) A physical or virtual machine running KALI LINUX 2021.1
2) Atleast 1 network interface card
3) An internet connection to download KALI package updates
4) The billysoftacademy network documentation spreadsheet (DOWNLOAD IT HERE)
5) Access to the KALI linux root user account
1) Check the current network configuration
2) Set a static IP address using the KALI GNOME GUI
3) Set a static IP address using the KALI terminal
4) Learn how to update the KALI network manager system package
5) document the static IP address that you have set in the network documentation spreadsheet.
Step 1: Check The Current Network Configuration
1) To run a basic check of the current network configuration on your KALI linux computer, open the TERMINAL application and run the following command:
The ifconfig command will return configuration information about the attached network interfaces. On ETH0 then important information to take note of the the values on INET, NETMASK and BROADCAST.
In the image on the right you can see that the KALI linux computer has been given the IP address of 10.0.2.15 as indicated on the INET parameter. The subnet mask for the network is 255.255.255.0 and the broadcast address for the network is 10.0.2.255