How To Setup A Linux Ubuntu 20.04 Server On Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1, VMware Workstation 15.5 And On VMware Fusion 11.5
The linux ubuntu 20.04 server operating system comes with new great features such as SSH with two factor authentication, improved features for cloud deployment on AWS and AZURE, automatic updates for the Ubuntu server live installer, AppArmour 3 for improved system security, support for CPU architectures such as 86-64, ARM v7, ARM64, POWER8, POWER9 and more. This 3 part tutorial is an all in one how to guide on how to install Linux Ubuntu 20.04 server on a virtual machine running on Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1 , VMware Workstation 15.5 and on VMware Fusion 11.5. Click on the button below to watch the video tutorial
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) A desktop or laptop that can run Windows 7, 8 , 10 or a Mac running MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra or newer
2) Atleast 4GB or memory installed on your computer
3) Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1 / VMware Workstation 15.5 and / VMware Fusion 11.5
4) The linux ubuntu disk image file (ISO file)
5) An internet connection to download and install linux ubuntu software upgrades and system updates.
1) Download and Install VMware Workstation / VMware Fusion and / Oracle VM VirtualBox on your computer.
2) Open VMware Workstation / VMware Fusion / Oracle VM Virtual Box and create a new virtual machine.
3) Go to the official linux ubuntu website and download the ISO image file for linux ubuntu 20.04 server edition
4) Attach the ISO file to the VMware Workstation / VMware Fusioon / Oracle VM VirtalBox virtual machine then power on the VM and install ubuntu
5) Check for and install linux ubuntu 20.04 software updates and package upgrades.
Step 1: Download and Install VMware Workstation / VMware Fusion and / Oracle VM VirtualBox on your computer.
1) The download process for Oracle VM Virtual box is pretty much straght forward because VirtualBox is an open source software product that is free to download and use. Click HERE to go to the Oracle VM VirtualBox downloads page.
VirtualBox can be installed on all the major operating systems such as Windows, MacOS and on Linux and the choice and where to install it is entirely up to you and the available computing and operating system resources that are available to you.
Once the download is complete, open the installation file and follow the on screen prompts.
2) VMware Fusion is an operating system virtualization solution built for MacOS. Therefore if you are using a Mac and reading this tutorial to see how you can setup a linux ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine then VMware Fusion is what you need.
Click HERE to go to the VMware Fusion download page. There is an option to download the standard VMware Fusion or VMware Fusion Pro however you may need to purchase a licence key.
Click HERE to see how much VMware Fusion and VMware Fusion Pro costs
3) VMware Workstation is a widely using operating system virtualization software on the Windows operating system. Therefore we would recommend using VMware Workstation to setup a linux ubuntu 20.04 virtual machine on windows.
However VMware Workstation can be used for free using a limited time offer trial licence and to find out how much it costs click HERE. An alternative is to use the freely available VMware Workstation Player, which has limited features but can still be used to deploy a linux ubuntu VM.
Once the VMware Workstation setup file has been downloaded, open it and follow the on screen prompts.