Learn How To Deploy A Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Edition EC2 Instance On The Amazon AWS Cloud Computing Platform.
This tutorial provides a simple guide on how to deploy Windows server 2019 as an EC2 instance on the Amazon AWS cloud computing platform. Having a fully fledged server operating system running in the cloud has many benefits. You do not have to manage the physical IT infrastructure and perform tasks such as maintaining server hardware, electrical power and ventilation. You can also deploy the Windows server on demand at any time, allocate as much hardware resources as you would like and only pay for the computing power, storage, and other resources you use without any binding contracts or up-front commitments. In this tutorial you will also learn how to set an static Elastic IP address for the Windows Server, enable remote desktop access and also check for and install Windows Updates.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implimentation action on this tutorial:
1) An AWS free tier or paid account
2) An IAM User account.
3) The Windows Server 2019 amazon machine image (AMI).
4) A remote desktop software such as Microsoft remote desktop.
1) Sign into your AWS account using your IAM user account. If you do not have an IAM user account, open the IAM MANAGEMENT CONSOLE and create an IAM user account.
2) Open the EC2 MANAGEMENT CONSOLE and click on the LAUNCH instance button.
3) Search for and create the new instance using the Windows Server 2019 AWS machine image.
4) Connect to the instance using remote access software then check for and install Windows updates.
Step 1: Sign Into Your AWS IAM Account Or Sign Up For A Free Tier Account
1) Go to www.aws.amazon.com and click on the SIGN INTO THE CONSOLE button.
2) Click on the IAM USER radio button, type in your 12 digit AWS Account ID or Account alias and click on NEXT.
3) Click on the INSTANCES button and click on the orange LAUNCH INSTANCE button.
4) An amazon machine image is a template or package that contains or consists of software / operating system needed to power on or launch an AWS instance.
On STEP 1: CHOOSE AN AMAZON MACHINE IMAGE (AMI) click on the AMAZON MARKETPLACE tab use the search bar at the top to search for “WINDOWS SERVER”
Click on the SELECT button on the MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2019 search result to proceed to the next step.
5) AWS EC2 offers a huge selection of instance types that are designed for various use cases. Each instance type has a different amount of compute resources such as STORAGE, MEMORY and NETWORKING. Select the T2.MICRO instance type that is marked as FREE TIER ELIGIBLE and click on the REVIEW AND LAUNCH button.
6) The AWS LAUNCH INSTANCE wizard will automatically configure the minimum recommended amount of storage and also add rules in the instance security group.
On STEP 7: REVIEW INSTANCE LAUNCH, click on LAUNCH button to proceed to the next step.
7) An AWS key pair is a set of two files, a private key and a public key that allows you to securely connect to an AWS instance. It is a set of security credentials that is used to verify your identity and grant you access to an EC2 instance. The public key is stored on the EC2 instance and the private key is stored on your computer.
A popup window will be displayed and prompt you to select an existing key pair or to create a new key pair. Select the CREATE A NEW KEY PAIR option, type in a name for the key pair on the KEY PAIR NAME text input box and click on the DOWNLOAD KEY PAIR button.
Once downloaded click on the LAUNCH INSTANCE button to start the Windows Server 2019 instance creation process.