Learn How To Install Linux Ubuntu 19.10 Desktop (Eoan Ermine) On Oracle VM VirtualBox.
Linux Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) is an updated version of the ubuntu operating system that comes with an all new linux kernel with support for new hardware such as AMD Navi GPUs, new ARM System on Chips and so much more. It also comes with new system security improvements, an updated version of the GNOME desktop environment, access to USB devices straight from the ubuntu dock, new YARI light and dark themes, updated office productivity applications such as LIBRE OFFICE 6.3 and so much more new features and improvements. Continue reading this tutorial to learn how to install Ubuntu 19.10 on Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1. You will also learn how to check for and install system and package updates in Linux Ubuntu 19.10. Alternatively you can click on the VIEW YOUTUBE TUTORIAL button below, to watch a detailed step by step video about this tutorial.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implimentation action on this tutorial:
1) A desktop or laptop with atleast 4GB of RAM and virtualization technology supported by the system BIOS
2) Windows 7 or Newer, MacOS or a linux desktop distribution
3) VirtualBox Version 6.1 or newer with the virtual extension pack.
4) The linux ubuntu 19.10 desktop disk image file (ISO).
1) Go to the linux ubuntu download page, and download the disk image file (ISO) for linux ubuntu 19.10 desktop
2) Next, open virtual box and create a new linux ubuntu 64 bit virtual machine
3) Power on the virtual machine, choose the linux ubuntu disk image file on the ISO image selection dialogue box and install linux ubuntu
4) Complete the ubuntu installation by installing system and package updates.
Step 1: Download Ubuntu 19.10
1) At the time of writing of this tutorial, linux ubuntu 19.10 was considered as an old release and can only be downloaded from the OLD RELEASES page on the linux ubuntu website.
Click HERE to go to the Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) old releases download page and click on the “64-BIT PC (AMD64) DESKTOP IMAGE” link.
Once you click on the link a popup window will be displayed and prompt you to either open the ISO file or to save the ISO file. Click on the SAVE FILE option and click on OK
Step 2: Create The Ubuntu Virtual Machine.
2) Once the download is complete, open ORACLE VM VIRTUALBOX and click on MACHINE > NEW. Type in a name to identify the virtual machine on the NAME textbox, set the operating system TYPE to LINUX and the operating system VERSION to UBUNTU (64 BIT). Click on CONTINUE to proceed to the next step.
3) Specify the amount of memory that you would like to allocate to the linux ubuntu virtual machine. For example if your computer has 8GB of RAM then you can allocate 2GB of RAM to the linux ubuntu 19.120 virtual machine. This leaves your computer with 6 GB of RAM available to it whenever the linux virtual machine is running.
Click on CONTINUE to proceed.
4) The next step is to create a virtual hard drive. Click on the “CREATE A VIRTUAL HARD DISK NOW” option and click on CREATE.
VirtualBox will prompt you to choose a virtual hard disk file type, Click on the VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) option and click on CONTINUE.
On the STORAGE ON PHYSICAL DISK section, choose the DYNAMICALLY ALLOCATED option and click on CONTINUE.
5) The minimum disk space requirements for Linux Ubuntu 19.10 is 25GB. Depending on available disk space on your computer we recommend that you create a virtual hard disk that is atleast 25GB in size.
On the FILE LOCATION AND SIZE section, type in a name and choose a folder to save the virtual hard disk on your computer then type in the size of the virtual hard disk and click on the CREATE button.
Step 3: Install Linux Ubuntu 19.10
6) From the VIRTUALBOX VM MANAGER, right click on the newly created linux ubuntu virtual machine and click on START > NORMAL START.
7) Virtualbox will automatically prompt you to select a virtual optical disk file (ISO) or physical disk containing the operating system installation files.
Click on the small file icon and browse to the folder where the linux ubuntu ISO image file is located, select it and click on the START button.
8) On the Ubuntu 19.10 install welcome page, you can choose to try out linux ubuntu or to install linux ubuntu. Click on the INSTALL UBUNTU button to start the installation process.
9) On the KEYBOARD LAYOUT section, ENGLISH (US) is the default keyboard layout selected, if you are using a device with a different keyboard layout choose the appropriate layout from the list of options or click on the DETECT KEYBOARD LAYOUT button and click on CONTINUE.
10) On the UPDATES AND OTHER SOFTWARE section, choose the NORMAL INSTALLATION option and below OTHER OPTIONS, click on the “DOWNLOAD UPDATES WHILE INSTALLING UBUNTU” check box.
Click on the “INSTALL THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE FOR GRAPHICS AND Wi-Fi HARDWARE AND ADDITIONAL MEDIA FORMATS” check box and click on the CONTINUE button
11) On the INSTALLATION TYPE section, click on the ERASE DISK AND INSTALL UBUNTU option as well as the “USE LVM WITH THE NEW UBUNTU INSTALLATION” check box and click on the INSTALL NOW button.
12) During the installation process , the linux ubuntu installer formats the hard disk and creates disk partitions needed to install ubuntu. A dialogue box will be shown prompting you to write disk and partition changes to disk. Click on the CONTINUE button to proceed.
13) Next, set you location using the map on the WHERE ARE YOU? section and click on CONTINUE
14) On the WHO ARE YOUR? section type any name on the YOUR NAME text box. Type a host name for the Ubuntu virtual machine on the YOUR COMPUTER’S NAME text box.
Proceed by typing in a username and password that will be used to log into the linux ubuntu VM and click on CONTINUE.
15) At this stage the linux ubuntu system files will be copied to and installed on to the virtual machine’s virtual hard disk. The installation process takes aboout 10 minutes or less depending on the perfomance of the virtual machine and the host computer.
16) Once the Linux Ubuntu 19.10 installation process is complete, a popup message will be displayed and prompt you to restart the virtual machine. Click on the RESTART NOW button to proceed.
Step 4: Check For And Install Linux Ubuntu System And Package Updates.
17) Login into the Ubuntu virtual machine using the credentials you created on step 14 above. From the dock, click on the SHOW ALL APPLICATIONS button and open the SETTINGS application.
Scroll down and click on the DETAILS button and click on the CHECK FOR UPDATES button.
18) To check for application updates, click on the SHOW ALL APPLICATIONS button on the ubuntu dock and open the SOFTWARE UPDATER application. Once it launches it will automatically check for updates and notify you if there are any updates available.
19) A quicker and easier way to check for updates would be to use the ubuntu terminal interface. Click on the SHOW ALL APPLICATIONS button that is on the ubuntu dock, search for and open the TERMINAL application and enter the following commands :
1) sudo su
2) apt-get update && apt-get upgrade