Learn How To Install Windows 7 (32 or 64 Bit) On Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1 In 10 Minutes Or Less.
There are many software virtualization solutions available today and most a license key or subscription for you to use them. However if you do not have the funds or budget to purchase a software / operating system virtualization product and in need for a free alternative that can get the job done then VirtualBox is a good option. VirtualBox is one of the best free and open source virtualization software that makes it possible for almost anyone using any computer running almost any operating system, to provision and deploy virtual machines on demand. Read this tutorial to learn how to install Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) on Oacle VM VirtualBox 6.1 in about 10 minutes or less. You will also learn how to install the virtualbox extension pack, virtualbox guest additions and windows updates.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implimentation action on this tutorial :
1) A desktop or laptop running Windows , MacOS, Linux or Solaris with atleast 8GB of RAM and 50GB free storage space
2) Virtualbox 6.1 installation file.
3) Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) disk image file or physical DVD.
4) VirtualBox 6.1 extension pack.
Please note that on this tutorial, the entire setup process was done using a Mac.
1) Go to the official virtualbox website and download the virtualbox installation file for your operating system as well as the virtualbox extension pack.
2) Download the Windows 7 32 or 64 bit disk image file from microsoft.com or any other trusted website. Alternatively purchase a Windows 7 installation DVD online.
3) Open virtualbox and create a new Windows 7 virtual machine.
4) Power on the virtual machine, set the Windows ISO file as the start up disk and install Windows.
5) Learn how to install virtualbox guest editions on the Windows 7 virtual machine as well as Windows updates.
Step 1: Download And Install VirtualBox And The VirtualBox Extension Pack.
1) Go to virtualbox.org and click on the blue DOWNLOAD VIRTUALBOX 6.1 button to go to the virtualbox download page. On “VirtualBox 6.1.16 platform packages”, click on the download link for the operating system that you are using.
Please note that the virtualbox 6.1 installation file for MacOS is about 118 MB in size, the one for windows is about 103MB in size, the one for solaris is about 118MB in size, and the virtualbox installation files for linux hosts are about 100MB in size.
2) The virtualbox extension pack is a set of software packages that add functionality and features to virtualbox such as Support for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices, VirtualBox RDP, disk encryption, NVMe and PXE boot for Intel cards and more. To download the extension pack, go to the virtualbox download page, and just below the “VirtualBox 6.1.16 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack” title, click on the “ALL SUPPORTED PLATFORMS” download link.
3) Go to the downloads folder on your computer, and open the virtualbox installation file. Double click on the VIRTUALBOX.PKG icon to open the ORACLE VM VIRTUALBOX installer. The MacOS disk image mounter will run a program to determine if virtualbox can be installed. Click on the CONTINUE button then click on CONTINUE on the INTRODUCTION section of the VIRTUALBOX installer.
4) A pop up message notifying you that the VIRTUALBOX installer is trying to install software, type in your password and click on INSTALL SOFTWARE.
5) Next, go to the applications folder and open virtualbox.Click on VIRTUALBOX > PREFERENCES > EXTENSIONS. Click on the ADD button as indicated by the red arrow on the image on the arrow, a file selection window will be displayed, go to the downloads folder, select the virtualbox extension pack file and click on OPEN.
6) A message box notifying you that you are about to install a virtualbox extension pack will be displayed. Click on the INSTALL button to proceed.
Step 2: Dowload Windows 7 or Purchase a Windows 7 Disk online.
7) If you have a valid Windows 7 product key, click HERE to go to the microsoft windows 7 download page. Type in the product key on the ENTER PRODUCT KEY text box and click on VERIFY. Follow the instruction on the windows 7 download page.
8) If you do not have a Windows 7 product key, you can download Windows 7 from a trusted website such as the internet archive. Click HERE to go to an internet archive web page to download Windows 7.
9) Alternatively you can purchased a Windows 7 installation disk from an ecommerce website such as amazon.com, Please note that you will need a DVD reader (if your computer doesnt have a built in optical drive) inorder to be able to install the Windows 7 VM.
Step 3: Create The Windows 7 Virtual Machine
10) Go to the applications folder and double click on the virtualbox icon.Click on the NEW button to open the virtual machine creation wizard and click on EXPERT MODE button.
11) On the NAME text box type a name that will be used to identify the virtual machine. Choose a folder to save the virtual machine files and set the TYPE option to MICROSOFT WINDOWS. Set the VERSION drop down menu to WINDOWS 7 (64 BIT) and set the MEMORY SIZE to atleast 2048MB.
Ensure that the CREATE A VIRTUAL HARD DISK NOW radio button is selected and click on the CREATE button.
12) On the virtual hard disk creation window, leave the FILE LOCATION as in and type in the size that you would want the virtual hard disk to be on the FILE SIZE text box. Set the HARD DISK FILE TYPE to VDI (VIRTUALBOX DISK IMAGE) and click on the DYNAMICALLY ALLOCATED radio button.
Click on the CREATE button to proceed.
Step 4: Power On The Virtual Machine And Install Windows 7.
13) Open the ORACLE VM VIRTUALBOX MANAGER, right click on the WINDOWS 7 virtual machine and click on START > NORMAL START. VirtualBox will detect that the new virtual machine doesnt have an operating system installed on its virtual hard disk and will automatically prompt you to select a virtual optical disk file that will be used as the boot device.
Click on the file selection button as indicated by the red arrow on the image on the right. Browse to the location where the Windows 7 ISO file is located, click on CHOOSE then click on START.
14) On the WNDOWS SETUP, set the LANGUAGE TO INSTALL to ENGLISH (UNITED STATES) or any other language that you prefer. Set the TIME AND CURRENCY FORMAT to ENGLISH (UNITED STATES) and set the KEYBOARD OR INPUT METHOD to US. Click on NEXT to proceed.
15) Choose the version of Windows 7 to install on the when prompted to SELECT THE OPERATING SYSTEM YOU WANT TO INSTALL and click on NEXT. Click on the I ACCEPT THE LICENSE TERMS checkbox on the APPLICABLE NOTICES AND LICENSE TERMS page.
Next, Windows Setup will ask you the type of installation you want to perform. Select the “CUSTOM: INSTALL WINDOWS ONLY (ADVANCED)” option to proceed.
16) Next, WINDOWS SETUP will ask you to choose where you would like to install Windows. Choose the virtual hard disk from the list of available hard disks and click on NEXT.
17) WINDOWS SETUP will start copying system files , install features and updates to the virtual hard disk. Please wait for the installation process to complete.
Step 5: Windows 7 Post Installation Setup Tasks.
18) When the Windows 7 installation process is complete, the virtual machine will restart automatically and prompt you to type in a username and a computer name. Once you have typed these in click on NEXT to proceed.
19) Proceed by setting a passoword for your Windows account and be sure to type in a password hint. The passoword hint should be a word or phrase that helps you remember your password if you forget it.
20) Next, set the timezone option to your current location. This helps to ensure that Windows always shows correct things like time and currency.
Step 6: Install VirtualBox Guest Additions And Check For Windows Updates.
21) Next, log in to windows using the username and password that you set during the windows setup process. From the MacOS menu bar click on DEVICES > INSERT GUEST ADDITIONS CD IMAGE.
From the windows virtual machine click on START > COMPUTER and double click on the CD DRIVE -VIRTUALBOX GUEST ADDITIONS.
On the VIRTUALBOX GUEST ADDITIONS SETUP,click on the NEXT button until you get to the CHOOSE COMPONENTS page. Ensure that all the component check boxes are checked then click on the INSTALL button.
22) Once the installation is complete, click on the REBOOT NOW radio button and click on FINISH.
To check for WINDOWS UPDATES on Windows 7, click on START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM AND SECURITY >WINDOWS UPDATES > CHECK FOR UPDATES. If there are any updates available, Windows will prompt you to download and install them.