learn how to setup an apc backups on a computer running windows server 2008 r2 standard or enterprise edition.
Windows Server 2008 R2 has built in support for for APC UPS devices as long as if the UPS device has a connectivity port (I.E USB or RS232) that can be used for collecting battery level and UPS information. This tutorial aims to provide an easy to follow guide in configuring an APC BACKUPS device for providing power protection for your windows server. The following are items that may be required to complete this configuration:
1) A Server with Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 installed.
2) An APC BackUPS with a USB port.
3) A USB Data cable for connecting the BACKUPS to the WINDOWS server.
4) A UPS Power cable.
NB: This configuration can also be done on Windows Vista, 7 , 8 and Server 2012.
1) Purchase an APC BACKUPS on amazon or any other trusted online store. Alternatively you can purchase an APC BACKUPS from a local reseller near you.
2) Connect the USB and UPS power cables to the Windows Server.
3) Configure Windows Server to power off when the battery level on the APC BACKUPS becomes very low (less than 5 %).
4) Test the configuration by disconnecting the UPS from the wall socket and allowing it to run until the battery goes to less than 5%.
5) Learn how to change the sensitivity of an APC BACKUPS.
Step 1: Purchase An APC BackUPS Online!
1) Depending on where you are located, shopping for an APC BACKUPS online could be a better option as the device could be a lot cheaper and could also be shipped to your location. The amazon online store is a good place to purchase such device but you can also purchase an APC UPS from ebay and alibaba.
We recommed the APC BACKUPS 950VA with universal sockets.
Step 2: Connect The USB And Power Cables To The Windows Server.
3) Power on the APC UPS and connect it to the wall socket. Connect the USB and UPS POWER cable from the BACKUPS to the Windows Server. If you do not have UPS USB and POWER cables, check the BACKUPS product manual to find out the correct cables that are required.
The diagram on the right is depicts how the cables should be connected.