Learn How To Setup An FTP Server On Windows XP Professional SP3
A network protocol is a set of rules used by computers connected or networked together which specifies how computers should communicate or interact with one another. There are many different types of protocols that manage interactions at various levels of a computer network. For example some network protocols are used to govern how data is exchanged between computer hardware devices while other protocols dictate how data is exchanged at the application or software level. FTP is a protocol that computers use to transfer files to and from one another and the exchange is done between an FTP Server and an FTP client. Upon completion of this tutorial you should be able to setup an FTP server that can be accessed from the internet USING Windows XP Professional SP3
In order to complete this tutorial successfully, below is a list of items that may be needed. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) A desktop or laptop with atleast 4GB RAM, a dual core processor and 50GB of free disk space.
2) The Windows XP Professional SP3 disk image file.
3) Oracle VM VirtualBox, VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion
4) A registered domain name
5) Port forwarding configuration to the FTP Server.
1) FTP Server network diagram
2) Download the Windows XP disk image file ISO
3) Download and install Oracle VM VirtualBox , VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion on your computer
4) Create a Windows XP Virtual Machine and configure it to work as an FTP Server.
5) Point your domain name to your public IP address and configure port forwarding.
6)Test the Windows XP FTP Server
FTP Server Network Diagram
1) Upon completion of this tutorial you should have an FTP SERVER / CLIENT setup as shown in the image on the right. The WINDOWS XP FTP SERVER will be running on your local area network and connected to your public domain via FTP. FTP clients will also be able to connect to the FTP Server and share files locally and also via the internet.
Step 1: Download The Windows XP Disk Image File. (ISO FILE)
2) The first step is to download the Windows XP disk image file (ISO FILE) from a trusted source such as archive.org. Windows XP is no longer supported by microsoft and may not be available for download from the microsoft website
Click HERE to download the ISO file from archive.org, the file is about 600MB in size
Step 2: Download And Install Microsoft Hyper-V, Oracle VM VirtualBox , VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion On Your Computer.
3) Next decide on a virtualization software that you would like to use for the WINDOWS XP FTP server, you could use Oracle VM Virtual Box, VMware Workstation, VMware ESXi or VMware Fusion. If you intend to deploy on a Windows 10 device we recommend Hyper-V or VMware Workstation. If you would like to run the Windows XP VM on a linux based operating system VirtualBox is a good choice and if you are using a Mac consider using VMware Fusion.
In this tutorial, VMware fusion will be used.
Step 3: Create The Windows XP Virtual Machine And Configure It To Work As An FTP Server.