Reliable Way To Remotely Connect To Your Work Computer Using A Registered Domain Name And A Remote Desktop Connection App.
Nowadays almost every business organization makes use of a work force that is spread across various physical locations or a constantly mobile work force and there is almost always a need to connect to and gain access to applications that are located at a central work location such as a head office or branch. If you a member of such a work force and find yourself having to work from home or having to constantly travel while working, fortunately there are many applications and technologies that make it possible to remotely gain access to important work applications and data. This tutorial provides a guide on how to setup a reliable way to remotely connect to your work computer using a registered domain name and a remote desktop connection app.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) A registered domain name FQDN or sub domain
2) A windows or linux desktop computer that you would like to remotely connect to
3) Access to the CPANEL account with rights to the DNS ZONE EDITOR for the domain name
4) A public IP address.
5) The Microsoft Remote Desktop app, Remina Remote Desktop app or any other similar remote desktop software.
1) Buy a domain name with a CPANEL hosting account from a domain name registrar such as namecheap, godaddy or AWS Route 53.
2) Login to the cpanel account and edit the DNS records for the domain or sub domain to point to the public ip address for your work network
3) Login to the edge router at your work place and configure port forwarding to your computer
4) Change the remote desktop settings on your computer to allow remote connections.
5 Download and install a remote desktop application such as microsoft remote desktop and connect to your computer using the sub domain.
Step 1: Register A Domain Name.
1) Start by going to a well known and reputable domain registrar such as godaddy, namecheap, siteground or AWS Route 53. However be sure to purchase a domain name from a registrar that will permit you or grant access to edit the DNS RECORDS for a domain or sub domain.
The domain name and hosting account setup process depends on the registrar that you choose to use.