Step-by-Step Guide to Installing Zulip Chat Server on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
What is Zulip and How Does It Work
Below is a list of items that you may need to complete this tutorial successfully:
1) A cloud-hosted VPS or self-hosted server with 4GB RAM, a dual-core processor, and 50GB free space
2) The Linux Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS operating system
3) An SSH client such as Putty for Windows or the macOS Terminal app
4) A fully qualified domain name pointing to the IP address of the Linux Ubuntu server
5) Zulip chat server installation files and an email account that ZULIP can use to send and receive emails.
Below is an overview of the steps outlined in this tutorial:
1) Connect to your Linux Ubuntu Server using your preferred SSH client and update the system repository
2) Download Zulip server from the official download page.
3) Access Zulip web-based admin interface and complete the post-installation setup.
1. Connect to your Linux Ubuntu Server using your preferred SSH client and update the system repository
The first step in completing this setup is to open an SSH connection to your Linux Ubuntu Server and updating the system repository. Run the command below to open the SSH connection
Edit the hosts configuration file and add your custom hostname.
2. Download Zulip server from the official download page.
You have now set up your Linux Ubuntu server and downloaded the Zulip server setup files. Run the command below to start the Zulip installer. The installer will also set up a Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate to enable HTTPS access to the Zulip Web Admin.
When the Zulip server installation completes, you will see the information shown below. Copy the URL at the bottom section and paste it into a browser address bar. Press Enter to navigate to that URL