Steps To Take To Create A Simple Wifi Hotspot On MacOS 10.7 And Higher.
Almost any Mac with a wireless network interface as well as the internet sharing feature can be configured to work as a wireless hotspot. This means that if you ever find yourself in a place with no Wi-Fi network and with a Mac that only has a wired internet connection you can simply create a hotspot and share the internet connection with other devices such as your mobile phone wirelessly. At the time of writing this tutorial it is not possibe to be connected to a Wi-Fi network and run a Wi-Fi hostspot network on a Mac at the same time however it is possible to share a WiFi connection on you Mac via USB tethering. Continue reading this tutorial to learn how to create a simple WiFi hotspot on MacOS 10.7 and higher. We’ll also show you how to share a WiFi connection using bluetooth.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial:
1) Access to a Mac Book Pro, Mac Mini, Mac Pro or iMac running MacOS 10.7 and higher
2) A WiFi network interface card installed on the Mac
3) The internet sharing feature in MacOS system preferences
4) A mobile phone or smart device for testing / trying out the WiFi hotspot
1) Power on your Mac, login and open the system preferences application
2) Click on the sharing option, choose a network interface that will be used for the internet connection and enable the INTERNET SHARING check box
3) Click on the Wi-Fi options button and set an SSID, wireless channel, Wi-Fi security encryption method and Wi-Fi password.
4) Proceed by connecting your wireless devices such as your mobile phone to the newly created Wi-Fi hotspot and also try out internet sharing via bluetooth.
Step One: Power On Your Mac And Open System Preferences.
1) Power on your Mac and open the SYSTEM PREFERENCES application. The SYSTEM PREFERENCES app can be opened from the dock or if you open finder > applications > SYSTEM PREFERENCES.
Once open click on the SHARING icon to open the MacOS sharing settings.
Step Two: Configure The Wi-Fi Hotspot
2) On the “SHARE YOUR CONNECTION FROM:” drop down menu select the network connection where the Mac is currently obtaining a internet access from. It can be the Ethernet connection or in my case the PPPOE connection.
3) Proceed by clicking on the WI-Fi checkbox on the “TO COMPUTERS USING:” section then click on the Wi-Fi OPTIONS button to setup the SSID, wireless channel, Wi-Fi security encryption method and Wi-Fi password for the Wi-Fi hotspot.
Type in a descriptive or easy to identify name (SSID) on the NETWORK NAME text box and set the channel to 11.
For new W-Fi hotspots created in MacOS the password is blank by default so be sure to set the SECURITY drop down to WPA2 PERSONAL and also type in a secure password on the PASSWORD text input box.
Once you have made the changes click on OK
4) To start using the Wi-Fi hotspot on your Wi-Fi enabled device click on the INTERNET SHARING check box. A popup message will be displayed asking if you are sure you would like to turn on internet sharing.
Click on START and the Wi-Fi hotspot will start working.