WHAT IS PYTHON AND SETTING UP A SIMPLE PYTHON DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT ON A 2008 MACBOOK PRO
In this tutorial, you will learn what python is and how to setup a simple python development environment on a 2008 Macbook Pro in minutes! You will learn how to install Python 3.10.7 as well as the Pycharm integrated development environment (IDE). Python is a high-level, general-purpose programming language. It is made with a focus on code readability with the use of significant indentation. Python also has built in support for structured programming, object-oriented and functional programming and with the help of frameworks such as DJANGO you can create really amazing programs. Watch the video right upto the end to learn how to set it up in less than 10 minutes.
In order to complete this tutorial, the following is a list of items that may be needed or required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial to ensure success:
1) A 2008 Mac Book Pro, Mac mini, iMAC, Mac Pro or any newer Apple Mac product
2) A dual core processor or better, 4GB of RAM and atleast 50GB of free disk space
3) Python 3 installation file for MacOS
4) The Pycharm IDE for developing python programs
5) Access to the admin account on your MacBook so you can install .dmg apps
1) Download python 3 for macOS from the Python website
2) Download an older version of the pycharm community IDE from the pycharm download archive
3) Install python 3 and the pycharm IDE and create your first python program
Step 1: Download Python 3 for macOS from the Python website
1) The first step is to download Python 3 for your macOS device from the Python website. Open a new browser window and go to python.org. Click on Downloads and click on macOS. Click on the latest Pythin 3 Release link and scroll down to the files section. Click on the macOS 64 bit universal installer link to start the download process
2) Next, go to your downloads directory and double click on the pythin 3 .dmg file that you have just downloaded. The python installer will open up and on the welcome screen click on CONTINUE. Click on CONTINUE on the next prompts and when you get to the terms of the software license agreement popup, click on AGREE and click on INSTALL.
3) A pop up window will be displayed informing you that the installer is trying to install new software. Type in your macOS user password to allow this and click on the INSTALL SOFTWARE button.
Step 2: Download an older version of the pycharm community IDE from the pycharm download archive
4) Open a new browser window and go to jet brains.com/pycharm/download/other.html. Here you need to pick the best version of pycharm for you macOS device. For this example i will choose Pycharm version 2019.1.4. Click on the macOS device link to start the file downlod process
Step 1: Install Python 3 and the pycharm IDE and create your first python program
5) Go to your downloads directory and right click the file you have downloaded and click on OPEN WITH > DISK IMAGE MOUNTER. Select the PyCharm CE icon and drag it over to the applications folder. You should now see a popup window showing a progress bar of the copying process.
6) Proceed by opening the applications folder and double click on the Pycharm icon. You should now see a popup message asking you that Pycharm CE is an application downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Click on OPEN. Select the “do not import settings” option on the next popup window and click on OK
7) Select “I’ve never used PyCharm and click Next: UI Theme. Choose either to use the Light theme or the dark Darcula theme and click on Next: Launcher Script. Click on Next: Featured plugins and click on. Start using PyCharm.
8) Once the PyCharm IDE opens up, click on the Create New Project button and this will open the project creation wizard. Type in a name for your first python project in the Location field, ensure that the BASE INTERPRETER ins set to python 3.7 or newer and click on CREATE.
9) Right click on your project folder and click on file > new. Set the name of the file to anything you would like, but ensure that you specify the .py extension at the end and click on OK. Type in the code
print(“MY FIRST PYTHON PROGRAM”) then click on RUN and click RUN. Press ENTER on the file specified in the popup message and you should see the console output as shown in the image below.
And thats it, you have successfully installed python as well as the PyCharm IDE on your 2008 macOS device. I hope this tutorial has been informative and i would like to thank you for reading.