How To Install Zimbra Mail Server OSE On Linux Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS Or On Any Newer Version Of Ubuntu.
Get started with installing the zimbra OSE edition on linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS by following the steps outlined in this tutorial step by step to ensure success. Zimbra mail Can also be installed on other linux Distributions click here to view Available tutorials on other linux distro’s. Also ensure that you have put together the requirements shown below before you take installation action using this tutorial.
In order to complete this tutorial successfully the following items are required. Please ensure to have these items available before taking implementation action on this tutorial :
1) 1 x Physical or Virtual Machine with A Quad Core Processor and 4GB Ram.
2) 1 x 100GB Hard disk drive or Solid state drive.
3) Internet Connection With A routable Public IP Address.
4) A registered fully qualified Domain Nane with CPANEL access.
5) A perfect DNS Configuration
Step One : Preflight Ubuntu Configuration For Zimbra Mail OSE
1) Apply the following changes to your Ubuntu Server Before starting the Zimbra installation. This starts the preparation process for ubuntu to be used as an email server.
Update Ubuntu to get the latest system packages (Reboot Ubuntu After Installation) by running the following command as root:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
Step Two (Optional) : Configure Port Forwarding
Step Three : Configure Static IP Address And Hostname
3) The next step is to configure a static IP ADDRESS, if ubuntu is setup to obtain an IP address automatically using DHCP. To configure the static IP ADDRESS run the following command.
The interfaces file will have the following DHCP configuration information:
iface ens33 inet dhcp
4) Remove the iface ens33 inet dhcp line and enter the following configuration:
iface ens33 inet static
address 192.X.X.X (enter your static address here)
gateway 192.X.X.X (enter your ip gateway here)
5) Open the resolve.conf file and ensure you have a valid static DNS server entry. Open the hosts file by typing in the following command:
Set the HOSTNAME and IP ADDRESS information as shown below:
192.168.X.X mail.yourdomainname.com mail
Press “CNTRL + O” and “CNTRL + X” to apply changes and exit out of nano. Type reboot and this will restart ubuntu
Step Four : Install The DNSMASQ DNS Server
6) The next step is to download and install DNSMASQ, a DNS server to be used by zimbra mail. To do this run the following command (Select Y when the system asks to install the package):
apt-get install dnsmasq
7) Open and edit the DNSMASQ configuration file. Enter your network information on the relavate places :
> /etc/dnsmasq.conf (this will clear all contents in this file!! create a backup before running this command)
8) Press “CNTRL + O” and “CNTRL + X” to apply changes and restart the DNSMASQ service by running the following command:
service dnsmasq restart
Step Five : Test And Check DNS Entries
9)The next step is to run two tests before installing Zimbra Collaboration to ensure that everything is in order. First we test that the DNS and MX records are configured properly using the DIG tool.
Run the command : dig mx yourdomainname.com. If you see results similar to the results shown in the image then the test has passed!
dig mx mail.yourdomainname.com
Take note of the results that are returned. If your DNS and MX records tests are not correct, revisit configuration steps in the previous steps and ensure that your configuration is correct and all variables conform to your environment.